Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Book Review: First Frost by Liz DeJesus


BLURB

For generations, the Frost family has run the Museum of Magical and Rare Artifacts, handing down guardianship from mother to daughter, always keeping their secrets to “family only.”

Gathered within museum’s walls is a collection dedicated to the Grimm fairy tales and to the rare items the family has acquired: Cinderella’s glass slipper, Snow White’s poisoned apple, the evil queen’s magic mirror, Sleeping Beauty’s enchanted spinning wheel…

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Frost wants none of it, dreaming instead of a career in art or photography or…well, anything except working in the family’s museum. She knows the items in the glass display cases are fakes because, of course, magic doesn’t really exist.

She’s about to find out how wrong she is.

2 STARS

My Review

I didn't enjoy this book much. I liked the characters well enough and the story itself was all right, but I couldn't get into it. For one thing, it made no sense to me that Rose had kept so much of the family history a secret from Bianca. I get that she wanted her daughter to have a chance at a normal life but with all that was going on she actually put her life at risk by keeping so many secrets. Also, I found several places where the story contradicted itself. True, they were smallish details like saying in one paragraph a room was pitch black and in the next that someone stepped out of the shadows, but each one jarred me out of the flow of the story.

The magical battle scenes were kind of cool, but they fell a little flat on the description. And Bianca mastered her skills much too quickly. The story did have some unexpected twists, but they didn't hit me as hard as they might have because I wasn't emotionally invested in the story.

First Frost wasn't a bad book, really, it simply wasn't for me.

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment