Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Review: Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki




(A Sinners Series Book One)

BLURB

Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best.
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home. 


2 STARS

My Review


First of all I want to say that, despite my rating of only two stars, this is not a bad book. It's simply a book I did not enjoy. I suspect part of it is that a large portion of the first half of the book is mostly dedicated to the budding romance between Cole and Lexi. I like romance in my books, but I don't enjoy when it's the main plot.

My second problem with the book is Lexi herself. Now, I get that's she only eighteen and she's a decent person who has been accused of a sin she did not commit, by her own mother no less, and thrown into a place which can only be described as hellish. But she pukes constantly and when she's not doing that, she's getting into life threatening situations where Cole has to show up right at the last moment to save her.

Another problem I had was with the amount of world backstory which was dumped on my head close to the beginning of the book. I like the backstory to be doled out a little at a time, slowly drawing me into the world, not force fed to me in thick clumps.

Now, having said all that, I thought Lexi's personal backstory was handled well in the form of dreams and memories. She is a very authentic character and in many ways behaves as any normal girl her age would behave under the circumstances.

The endgame battle is handled perfectly. You get a real sense of the horror and confusion of a war with bullets flying and people dying left and right. It was very exciting and terrible. One of the best battle scenes I have ever read and I read a lot of epic fantasy where massive battle scenes tend to be a mainstay.

Lexi remains true to her character throughout. She does her best, but she is no soldier. I liked that. Too many books turn their main characters into marksmen and warriors with hardly any training or experience. That didn't happen here.

There was a nice little twist near the end, and the story came to a close in a satisfying manner. I wavered over whether or not to give this book a three star rating, but in the end it came down to the fact that I only enjoyed a few parts of the story. Too much of it irritated or downright bored me for it to warrant a three star rating on my part.

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment