Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Book Review: The Stranger by Caroline B. Cooney

Blurb:
The moment Nicolette lays eyes on the mysterious boy in art class, she knows there’s something different about him

At Nicolette Storm’s high school of over two thousand students, everyone has to belong to a group or they are nothing. Nicolette’s place is happily in the Madrigals choir, where she and her friends wear beautiful costumes and sing like angels. But at the beginning of the school year, Nicolette is unexpectedly ousted from the group in favor of a new girl, and feels totally lost. When she signs up for art appreciation as a replacement elective, she meets a dark, mysterious boy.
 
She can’t understand why she is so intensely drawn to the silent, beautiful boy. On the afternoon of their first class together, she finds herself so mesmerized she is inexplicably compelled to follow him home. Or rather, home is where she thinks he is going, until he walks past the town’s houses, past the roads, and into the forest. There is something so innately powerful about him—it’s as if the trees and boulders of the forest rise up to greet him. He is so different, so beautiful, and so . . . inhuman. Will an extraordinary love help Nicolette find herself?
 
I give it 2 stars
 
My review:
 
The main reason I didn't like this book is because it kind of reminded me of Twilight. There are no vampires or werewolves though, just a boy who is cursed into being a... Well, I'm not really sure what he is. Anyway, the instantly obsessive feelings that Nicolette has for Jethro, are very like Bella's feelings toward Edward. Also, there is a love triangle, but that didn't bother me at all.
 
I bought this book in paperback and it has a different blurb. A blurb which led me to believe I was picking up a light YA horror with some romance, when really it is strictly a YA romance. I'm not sure whether it qualifies as paranormal or not, though. I don't like books where the romance is the main plot, which the secondary reason I didn't like this book.
 
The writing isn't bad at all. The two best friends almost seem like they could be the same girl, but the rest of the characters, even the minor ones, are fully fleshed out individuals. And there are some truly wonderfully described scenes that really pulled me into the story.
 
If you liked Twilight you might want to give this one a try.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment