Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book Review: The Printer's Devil by Paul Bajoria

Blurb: The notorious inhabitants of London's criminal underworld are all in a day's work for Mog, the young printer's apprentice, who prints their WANTED posters. But then a real-life meeting with a genuine convict entangles Mog in a secret scheme that has all the crooks of the city at each others' throats.
An ingenious theft, a series of mistaken identities, and a chilling murder all connect to a ship just docked from India, and Mog's own mysterious past.
 
I give it 4 stars
 
My review: This is not the sort of book I usually read, but one day while digging through a bargain bin I came across The Printer's Devil and it's sequel, The God of Mischief. They were cheap, so I picked them up. Now, I'm very glad I did so.
The Printer's Devil takes place in 19th century London. It's a YA adventure story about 12 year old Mog Winter, who gets involved in a dangerous plot involving thievery, deceit, and murder. The point of view is, for the most part, Mog's. Mog is a charming character whose adventures make for an enjoyable read.
Why is there a camel in London, and what makes it so precious people are willing to kill to get their hands on it? Who is the man from Calcutta, and what truth does he know about Mog's past?
You'll have to buy the book to find out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment