Sunday, February 10, 2013

Interview With Allison Blanchard, author of "Forget Me Not"
















“Cole Dyami is a mysterious boy with a dangerous secret. Adeline Jasely is a typical teenage girl. Living in the seemingly normal small town of Great Falls Montana, Adeline is confronted with everyday teenage problems by a not so normal beautiful boy. As Adeline and Cole’s worlds collide, the line between illusion and reality is blurred. According to a tribal legend, Adeline and Cole are no longer two friends, but two pieces in a complicated mystery. Suddenly, Adeline finds herself in a world she never knew existed. Alongside Cole, she attempts to unravel the mysteries of the small Chippewa tribe in order to not only find out who Cole Dyami truly is, but who she is as well. As Cole and Adeline begin to uncover the secrets behind the legends of the Chippewa tribe, illusion slowly unravels into reality and friendship gradually melts into a mutual need of survival.”




What inspired you to write this book?

I started writing "Forget Me Not" four months after my father passed away. It was a way for me to deal with the grief and it gave me a new sense of purpose and hope. My characters literally helped me through a tough time during my life.

Can you give us an interesting fact about your book that isn't in the blurb?

 

“Forget Me Not” is a unique love story that digs at the deeper questions of life & death, illusion & reality with an interwoven thread of Native American culture and legends.

 

What do you consider the most important part of a good story?

Character development. The plot can be crazy amazing, but if I can't connect with a character or at least understand them, then I lose interest very quickly. A good story needs true to life characters.

What is you writing process?

 

My process is pretty laid back. I usually play some music to help me get in the right mindset, drink some coffee, and sit down at my computer and let it all out.

 

How long have you been writing?

 

I have been writing since I was eleven, but only became serious about writing for publication when I was about fifteen.

 

How did you get started writing?

I’m not really sure what got me started with writing, but I’m pretty sure it was after reading my favorite author, Marianne Curley. She truly inspired me to write.

Have you had anything else published?

No, "Forget Me Not" is my debut novel. But I am working on the sequel, "Morning Glory" which will hopefully be out this year!

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

A little bit of both, however I am less structured and tend to let a scene flow the way it wants or let the characters do whatever comes naturally. I may have a brief outline, but I sometimes don't always follow it.

What kind of music do you like to listen to while you write?

Indie rock, alternative rock - My favorite bands are Paramore and The Civil Wars.

Who is your favorite author?

Marianne Curley

Who is your favorite character from a book?

Probably Isabel Becket from Marianne Curley's "Guardian of Times Trilogy." She is one tough chick and I loved the way Curley portrayed her.

What is your favorite book?

"The Great Gatsby" by Fitzgerald. He's a boss.

Read anything good lately?

Currently, I'm reading "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris. It's compilation of creative non-fiction and I'm really enjoying it!

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Spending time with Jesus (I'm a self-proclaimed Jesus Freak and proud of it) reading, watching movies, listening to music, and hanging out with my roommates!

What advice would you give an author just starting out?

Don’t give up on your writing or your characters. It’s hard, but so worth it. Write everyday and continue to improve your craft. And read. Read anything and everything. Reading helps you appreciate other authors’ style and also helps you better determine your own voice.

What's your next project?

 

The project I am working on now is the second book in the Forget Me Not Trilogy, “Morning Glory.” It picks up where “Forget Me Not” left off. There are new characters, new twists and turns, but it is definitely a little darker than the first. SPOILER ALERT: There are some character deaths. It’s a pretty intense read.

 
 
 
 
 
Allison Blanchard is currently a student at Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville, Georgia where she is pursuing her bachelor degrees in English Creative Writing and French. She is an active sister in Sigma Alpha Omega where she continues to grow as a woman in Christ. She writes every day, drinks too much coffee, and is looking forward to the next adventure her characters will take her.
 
Links:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment